August 16, 2012

The Opposite of Writers Block

I have the opposite problem from Lorne Oliver. What keeps me from writing isn't usually writers block. For me it is Procrastination. The first thing that keeps me from writing is facebook. This social media program is like a drug to me. Before I do anything I want to log on and see what everyone is up to today. Then I jump over to other peoples pages or to my groups and I find four or five hours have passed. So you would think I would be done here. No! Instead I have to rush back to my page to see what everyone is up to since I was there last. Night falls, my day off is over and I have accomplished nothing.
     Twitter has not quite taken over my life yet, but I think that is because I don't send a tweet every time I move or breath. I send a tweet when I have something to share. Yes, defeats the purpose of tweeting, I know. That is what facebook is for. I know. Trust me you don't want me to learn how to tweet and speak tweetspeak because your phone will be blown up with tweets in no time. Lets just leave it at that.
     Then there is netflix. Need I say more? Anyone who knows me knows that I am a movie hound. On my gravestone I want the words "And now for a Feature Presentation. Only old folks will know what that means. It dates back to pre-DVD and Blu-Ray. It was when the movie theater and the video tape showed you previews of movies yet to come out. Then as they lead into the movie you got that message. It makes me happy!
     One has to wonder with such a desire to write and a story in my head why I am not writing? It is not a block. I know exactly what I want to say. Yet I seem to avoid it like the plague. I allow constant distractions to get in my way.
     I even posted that pic of Ironman and his friends on my screen telling me I should be writing. Instead I just stare at them. How cute they all are pointing their fingers at me. Ahh....
     Oh, enough of that. I was writing something. Right.
     See what I mean?
     

3 comments:

  1. I remember that message on my VHS tapes. Funny thing is, I always loved previews.

    I procrastinate too. I think it's more about not wanting to find out that the perfect words in my head are not so perfect. So, I'll waste time worldbuilding, watching videos online, and rest assured that my ideas are pristine inside my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Procrastination is something I think every writer has to deal with. It's just part of the writing life! If you can get over your own obstacles, you won't be able to help but be successful! Great post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. Stephanie, I loved previews too. That was how I learned what I wanted to see next!And Liesel I as you will see in my newest post I am trying to figure out my reasons. If I could learn to trust what that my work is good I could get along with the chore of writing. Then it will be fun instead of just hard work.

    ReplyDelete