October 11, 2016

How I Got Engaged with Yoga

This is off the topic of writing but I started this plank challenge a while back. You lie on floor, raise yourself up onto your hands or elbows and hold yourself there for 15 seconds. As weeks progress you go longer until you go to"fail." After starting this I had a terrible bout of stomach problems almost placing me in the hospital. That halted all planking. Weeks went by and I still was afraid to get back into the swing of things. But I did plank here and there. 
Now months have gone by and my body craves the work. I started to plank again. I did the 15 seconds at first. I find it a struggle when I am counting. I am more concerned about reaching the magic number than getting the best work out of it. Now I go to fail. It is not the minute or more that they like at FAIL, but I go until I can no longer stand it. This makes me work longer and not get caught up on meeting that 15 second or 20 second mark. I like fail. It is different every time but lets me maximize my muscles. I did planks with squats. 15 to 30 a day. 
   Then I watched a video on yogaburn facebook page. She posted a Goddess Pose that is like a squat but you put your legs out to the sides, inner thighs facing forward, tuck your butt under. This pose was hard for me due to a leg injury when I was a child. While doing the pose my leg popped in and out. Not painful at the time, but I knew it would lead to trouble so I modified it to not as severe a squat. That put the pressure on the muscles without the popping knee. This pose, just like the plank, made my body feel good. It is amazing how a few seconds can change your day. It makes you feel great in your body and your mind. Yoga gurus say this, but I had no idea what they meant. Now I do. 
   These little poses make me happy. I feel like superman. Like I could take on the world. It makes me want to eat veggies and drink crisp, clean water. It makes me breathe deeply throughout the day. It makes me feel good! 
   So now I have added three other poses I do not yet know the names of. I am working out of a tractor trailer cab so I have a small working area. But I do poses in parks and rest areas as well. I do not care if people think I am crazy. I just keep doing it. I will add poses as my body allows. Meanwhile I have a core now. It may not be much, but it is engaged! In fact my entire system of muscles are engaged and I plan to keep it that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment