October 11, 2016

The Writer's Life on the Road


As an Indie writer I work a real job every day. My job consists of driving an 18- wheeler as part of a team operation. That means driving 80,000 pounds of steel down the road each day safely. I am the night time driver so I sleep during the day. Our days are usually 11 hours long with a half hour break in the middle somewhere. Sure it is just driving, but driving safely involves being diligent and alert. It tires you out. When I get a day off after seven days on, the last thing I want to do is sit down at a computer for eight or more hours knocking out all the stories I have in my head from driving for eleven hours a day. I have opted to get out of the truck and move around. Writing during my work week is a mess. The truck bumps around so much writing with pen or computer is useless.
     For us going home is not a weekly deal. We leave our cabin knowing that we may not get back there for four to six months save a day home here or there on our way to a delivery. Then we get home for three to four days if we are lucky. Since we are building our cabin ourselves, that time is spent installing the latest project, be it the kitchen cabinets, plumbing, sewer, etc. We stay busy right up until we load the truck back up with supplies for the next four to six months.
     That doesn't stop the writer in me from cooking up stories on a daily basis. Sitting behind a wheel all night with no one to talk to since most smart people are in bed leaves a lot of time to build on all the novels in my head. They swarm around leaping from idea to idea. Different characters scream louder on different nights. I have worked out my Pirates Cove story in my head a million times. I have conversations between Claire Templeton and her cohorts nightly. But when I try to put that down on paper Claire takes off on a tangent. These are usually good things. But for Pirates Cove she keeps running off in the wrong direction. I have even let her run amock to see if she could do a better job than I was, but that never worked out. She runs long and boring. I like short and sweet. I prefer short chapters that throw you into the next one whether you like it or not. Claire and I have been doing battle for several years trying to get this story out.
     For those of you impatiently waiting for the next book in the Butcher Harbor series, I understand. I apologize. I sympathize. As soon as I can get this character to do as she is told and let me finish this fantastic adventure I will get it out to you. Believe me I want to share this story. I want you to come along and see where her life takes us next. It is quite a ride. I just need to get out of my ride long enough to get it on paper.
     Thank you for your patience! I promise it will be worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment